Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Thrill of Politics; The Agony of words

The so-call debates are upon us (already) and the Republicans are the first out of the starting gate. Going into the straw-poll lead is the Tea Bagger, Michele Bachmann. Her potential is awesome according to some. My take is she needs to retain some historical perspective, and I mean history, not hysterics. (I admit my laughter borders on hysterical).

Born Michele Marie Amble in Waterloo, Iowa, "into a family of Norwegian Lutheran Democrats" she and her family moved from Iowa to Minnesota when she was young. After her parents divorced, Bachmann's father, David John Amble, moved to California, and Bachmann was raised by her mother, Jean (née Johnson), who worked at the First National Bank in Anoka, Minnesota. Her mother remarried when Bachmann was a teenager; the new marriage resulted in a family with nine children.
She graduated from Anoka High School in 1974 and, after graduation, spent time working on a kibbutz in Israel. In 1978 she graduated from Winona State University with a B.A.
In 1979, Bachmann was a member of the first class of the O.W. Coburn School of Law, a part of Oral Roberts University. In 1986 she received a J.D. degree from Oral Roberts University. She was a member of the final graduating class of the law school at ORU, and was part of a group of faculty, staff, and students who moved the ORU law school library to what is now Regent University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Bachmann#Early_life.2C_education.2C_and_early_career

Deep thinking thoughts from this shallow cup of tea thinker ....

"Not all cultures are equal"

"What a bizarre time we're in, when a judge will say to little children that you can't say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn homosexuality is normal and you should try it."

"It was back in the 1970's that the swine flu broke out then under another democratic president Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on president Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."

(My Note: the 1976 Swine Flu outbreak happened when Gerald Ford, a Republican, was president)

"Gay marriage is probably the biggest issue that will impact our state and our nation in the last, at least, thirty years. I'm not understating that."

(Teri Schiavo) " ... was healthy. There was brain damage, there was no question. But from a health point of view, she was not terminally ill."

"Carbon Dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows carbon dioxide is a harmful gas."

(My Note: carbon dioxide is what we breathe out. Carbon monoxide is lethal)

"If we took away the minimum wage, if conceivably it was gone, we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level."

"I just take the Bible for what it is, I guess, and recognize that I am not a scientist. I am not a deep thinker on all of this. I wish I was. I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I'm not a scientist."

"There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists many of them holding Nobel prizes, who believe in Intelligent Design."

“I don't know where they're going to get all this money because we're running out of rich people in this country.”

AND the craziest: "I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States..."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is: Has Planet Earth become the insane asylum for the universe?

No comments:

Post a Comment